1-1 / #23532
Home Again, Home Again
Debrief: Wrapping it up.
Upon arriving home from your trip, you may be met with an array of feelings and emotions. Find joy in knowing you have just participated in something so significant: sharing the love of Jesus Christ abroad through service. What a great privilege!
Prepare your mind...
Below is a list of some things to keep in mind upon returning home.
- Keep a positive mindset as you return to your normal routine and re-adjust. Some initial stress is expected considering the circumstances.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will guide you in your interactions and thoughts.
- Not everyone will experience re-entry stress in the same way. Those who have made previous returns may notice little effect.
- Due to your experiences abroad, it is likely you’ll become more discerning and critical of your own culture upon return. Be alert to this fact and try to avoid hasty judgments.
- Keep in mind, it’s the little things that may “throw you off” such as traffic flowing “the wrong way” and your sense of time getting back on track.
- Be honest with people. Allow them to help you readjust by letting them know some of the stress you may be facing.
Share your experience
You’ve just experienced something great. Though your friends and family didn’t walk there alongside you, they still may want to know what you saw, felt, ate, even smelled on your trip! Share your excitement through stories, photos and videos. If you find it difficult to share your experience, try journaling/listing the highlights so you can sum it up more easily.