34-21 / #9823
Traveler's Diarrhea (TD) is the most common health problem for travelers visiting developing countries. It is typically acquired by the consumption of contaminated water and foods.
To prevent illness from contaminated water and food, there are several things to keep in mind.
- Only drink sealed bottled water or filtered water. Tap water is unsafe for your consumption.
- Please bring a water bottle to be refilled. Always drink from a labeled can or bottle, never from a questionable container.
- Drinks made of boiled water such as coffee or tea as well as canned or bottled carbonated beverages are safe to consume.
- Do not brush your teeth with tap water. Use bottled or filtered water.
- When showering, try to keep your mouth closed to avoid ingesting water. This is one of the simplest ways to avoid sickness.
- Eat only foods prepared at our trusted sites. If you are offered food outside, and it is not something you can peel, kindly say, "no thank you".
- WASH YOUR HANDS. Do not put your fingers in your eyes or mouth without washing them first.